advertise

Friday, December 13, 2013

my year in review

december 13, 2013

i started my weight loss and this blog in january of this year with a goal of losing twenty pounds a year for five years to equal a 100 pound reduction. my plan was to lose it slowly in order to keep it off for good and stay as healthy as possible.

My starting weight was 296 lbs and lost two pounds at the end of january. in february was down nine pounds. by the end of march of i was down to 279 pounds, a total weight loss of seventeen pounds. so off to a fantastic start and lost more than i had planned in that short period of time. also in march got a major blow when my bad back went out trying to climb the walking bridge ramp downtown.

this event killed my momentum and a lot of my motivation. being is so much pain for a long period starts messing with my mind and spirit. it had been years since my back had went out and had to see the doctor to ease the pain. I was in so much pain I was walking crooked and had to stay in bed most of the day. Sitting made it worse and ended up missing several days of work.

in april i was still trying to keep going. I wrote on my blog then that "Today went to the park and walked/jogged/ran  almost 2 and half miles, lifted weights/wall push ups/jumping jacks for 30 minutes while watching the game and danced to You tube for 30 minutes.  So I burned over 683 calories"

in the middle of april i blog that i had lost another four pounds and was down a total of 21 pounds. so at that point i had surpassed my goal for the year and feeling good considering my health challenges. on april 18th i blogged that "Yesterday went to see the spine surgeon who showed me my MRI of my back. Six of my lower back disks were bad and two of those qualified for surgery. He said I had some other alternatives I could do to ease my pain in my legs. Since I'm not a fan of surgery I chose physical therapy."

the physical therapy did an amazing job of getting rid of the pain. however i had a mental block of damaging my back more and that showered the rest of my year. i was concerned of going thru that pain again and of facing back surgery.

reported in may i had picked up three pounds and this was the start of going the wrong way. also at the start of the year my home gym was dismantled to add rooms to my basement. in fact i still don't have the home gym yet but almost have it completed.

by july i was back up to 277 pounds and feeling frustrated. i was still doing occasional long work outs but the down days started to mount.   by the end of august i had lost eight of the ten pounds i had regained in the previous two months. but that was short lived because i ended up re-injuring my back again later on in the year and struggled with my weight loss big time.

by the end of the year i started to lose weight again but not as much as before. so i'm on the right course but at a slower pace. i'm glad i didn't give up and will continue to push though all my challenges and will keep you guys posted.

so this my year in review. so take care and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment